Local Decision Points for Districts Regarding the Ohio Teacher Evaluation System 2.0
eTPES is out and Ohioes is in.
- Will our District upload everything online or only upload the final summative? Only the final summative will be uploaded.
- Will the District require completion of the self-assessment? No.
- Are pre-conferences required? Evaluators will reach out to teachers prior to the observation either in person or via email or Google Docs.
- Are observations announced or unannounced? Announced.
- Walkthroughs – Unannounced.
- Is feedback required on each walkthrough/informal observation? If yes, what will this look like? Yes, we can use the walkthrough checklist with a disclaimer that not all practices and strategies will be observed.
- In addition to the conference following the Formal Holistic Observation and the Final Summative Conference, are other conferences required? No, only for someone up for renewal or improvement plan.
- How many focus areas will teachers have? 1-2
- Will the District evaluate teachers having earned an Accomplished or Skilled rating less frequently? Yes
- For the one required observation, what type of observation will that be? Walkthrough
- For the one required conference, what type of conference will that be?
Final Summative Conference
- How will it be determined if progress is made on the PGP? During the final summative conference, the evaluator determines if progress has been made on the goal.
- Will the district allow teachers rated Accomplished to select their evaluator and teachers rated Skilled to provide input on their evaluator? Building principals have evaluated staff within their respective buildings; Micah has evaluated SPED staff.
- Will the District choose to not evaluate a teacher who has been board approved for retirement by December 1? Yes
- Will the District choose to not evaluate a teacher participating for the first time in the Resident Educator Summative Assessment (RESA)? Yes
- How will the District determine if a teacher is on board-approved leave for more than 50% of the school year? Will that teacher be evaluated? No
- For the teacher on a limited or extended limited contract under consideration for non-renewal, the District is required to conduct at least three formal observations. How will this be communicated and implemented? This will be communicated in the Improvement plan.
Professional Growth Plan (PGP)
- How many goals are teachers required to have on the PGP? 1-2
- What is the District timeline for the development of the PGP? Oct. 1
- How will it be determined that the PGP is aligned to any District and/or school improvement plans? One Needs Assessment goal will be provided to teachers at the beginning of each school year.
High-Quality Student Data (HQSD)
- How will the District make decisions around HQSD?
- How will it be determined if an instrument meets the criteria for HQSD? In TBTs, the team will use the ODE checklist.
- How will the evaluator determine if the teacher meets the criteria for using the data from the instrument? This will be discussed at the Post-conference.
- How will the District define “experts in the field?” TBT teams
Improvement Plan: We will follow the ODE Improvement Plan Template.